Yes, the name is a little uninspiring, but don’t be fooled, this shortbread, crumble, flapjack mash-up is anything but ordinary!
Oaty Shortbread Base
- 275g rolled oats – whizzed in a food processor to create a powder
- 100g Plain flour
- 150g Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 225g Softened butter
- 1 jar of blueberry jam – or any other type of jam!
Flapjack Crumble Topping
- 105g Plain flour
- 55g Rolled oats
- 85g Melted butter
- 85g Caster sugar
- 35g Dark brown sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- Start by making the oaty shortbread base. To do this combine all the base ingredients (apart from the jam) together into a dough.
Tip: If you’re struggling to get the ingredients to come together into a ball use your hands, the warmth from them will melt the butter a bit which will help!
- Line a baking tin with grease proof paper and push the dough into a flat, even layer. Put it in the fridge while you make the crumble topping.
- To make the toping mix all the ingredients together into a crumble that sort of sticks together, sort of doesn’t.
- Take the base out of the fridge and spread a whole jar of jam over the top of it.
- Sprinkle on the crumble topping and bake the whole thing in the oven for 45 minutes
- When you take the bake out of the oven it will be a bit ‘wet’. It’s important to let is FULLY cool before you cut it. This will allow the jam layer to firm up against you get a clean slice.
Enjoy! If you love this recipe, find more just like it over on Ellie’s Kitchen UK.