Having eaten our weight in turkey and chocolate it’s safe to say that we are all watching our waist line at this time of year, so this veggie Bolognese is a great way to start your healthy New Year. Bursting with vegetables, carbs and low biological value protein, this recipe courtesy of Ellie’s Kitchen UK is full of goodness and will warm your soul this winter. Enjoy with a glass of red or white vegan wine.
Ingredients – serves 6-8
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stems celery, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried Thyme leaves, or 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 500g Puy lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 X 400g tin of tomatoes
- 5 l vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pasta, rice, jacket potatoes or tortilla chips and a green salad to serve
- Warm a large pan on a medium heat. Add the olive oil, onions, carrots and celery and sweat until they are soft.
- Then add the thyme, garlic and tomato purée and turn the heat up. Stir well then add the Puy lentils.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the vegetable stock, stir well and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 mins, until the lentils are tender and the sauce reduced slightly.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a further 15 mins and prepare your sides according to the instructions on the packaging.
- Serve up just like a ‘regular’ bolognese and enjoy!