Whether it’s for health or ethical reasons, going meat-free has never been more on-trend. But whilst it may be good for the environment, your health and your wallet, isn’t it harder to cook a delicious – and satisfying – meal without the meat?
We thought we’d give you a helping hand with some mouth-watering meat-free recipes that are not only easy but filling, healthy and quick! Perfect for busy mums who want to try a meat-free menu but don’t know where to start. Our aim is to showcase some of the easiest, most child-friendly recipes we could find, and even a few homely winter favourites like shepherd’s pie, just without the meat!
Once you get into the swing of it you can be more ambitious, with so many recipes and blogs out there advising you what kind of veggies and other ingredients to use to make sure you’re still getting those vital proteins and nutrients you would normally get from meat.
- Brekkie ‘casserole’ – Going meat-free doesn’t just have to happen at dinner time. This amazing recipe is good for using up leftovers and creating a filling, healthy brunch option that can also be kept in the fridge for the next day.
- One-hour vegan shepherd’s pie – That’s right, going meat-free doesn’t mean you have to abandon all your favourite homely winter dishes – this vegan shepherd’s pie courtesy of Minimalist Baker is quick, easy and full of goodness. Once you get the hang of swapping meat for lentils you’re onto a meat-free Monday winner!
- Mediterannean baked sweet potatoes – Jacket potatoes – with a twist! Easy, filling and full of goodness, these vegan baked potatoes make a perfect meat-free-midweek dinner.
- Almond butter noodles – What’s not to love about a recipe with ‘almond butter’ as the main ingredient…?! These super-quick, tasty noodles will have the whole family forgetting where the meat went. Plus you can customise by adding your own veggies or even a meat-replacement like tofu chunks if you prefer.
- Sweet potato and kale chilli – If, like us, you feel everso slightly smug when you’ve consumed the iron-rich superfood kale, then this recipe is for you – plus you can have it on the table in under an hour.
- Fudgy brownies – Vegan doesn’t have to mean no treats! This fab recipe puts a guilt-free chocolatey treat on the menu. Best of all, the whole thing only takes about half an hour to prepare and cook!