What does romance mean to you? A candlelit dinner? A stroll on a deserted beach? Or hunkering down in a luxurious hotel room away from the stress of parenting life? Whatever your answer, we reckon all of us could do with a bit more romance in our lives, so we’ve rounded up some of the most romantic places in the UK to inspire you. Let us know what you think of our choices and share your ideas with us on Facebook and Twitter @UKMumsTV.
- Castles – Castles are the stuff of fairytales, so what better than a weekend at one approved by royalty itself. In 1873 Queen Victoria said she ‘never saw a lovelier or more romantic spot’ than Inverlochy Castle in the Scottish Highlands which is now a luxurious hotel with outdoor adventure activities and a restaurant menu by Michel Roux Jr.
- Spa breaks – From unique day spas that you can combine with a city break, like the Thermae Spa in Bath with its rooftop pool; to the wild and eco-friendly Scarlet Hotel in Cornwall, with its infinity pool and hot tubs overlooking the sea, there’s a romantic spa break for every taste (and budget).
- Luxurious hotels – For ultimate opulence you can’t beat London’s famous Claridge’s, but if you’re after something a little cosier, the Cotswolds and the Lake District seem to have a huge selection, many with award-winning restaurants, outdoor activities and spas to boot. Try a comparison site for the latest deals (but check with the hotel direct as some save their best offers for direct bookings).
- Secluded spots – Romantic starlight is hard to come by in the city, but what if you could enjoy a few urban comforts AND snuggle with your love under the stars? Now you can, thanks to the plethora of top quality glamping spots featured on the amazing website Canopy and Stars. From shepherd huts and yurts to gypsy caravans and treehouses, it’s a comprehensive list of quirky but luxurious ways to enjoy (rather than just endure) the countryside.
- Famous landmarks – Call us crazy but sometimes it’s the backstory of a place that lends it an air of romance. Think magical sights at the Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye, tales of forbidden love at Gretna Green, punting in Oxford or Cambridge or famous romcom scenes filmed on the South Bank in the shadow of the London Eye. The best bit is, day trips like this come cheaper and don’t require as much babysitting time, so all the more reason to try them all!