Baked Alaska…it’s the dessert of many people’s dreams, and also their nightmares if they are thinking about attempting one themselves. But never fear, it’s much simpler than you think and it’ll make for an impressive end to any barbecue this summer!
Take a look at this fab recipe we found via Good Housekeeping.
- 2 x 500ml tubs coconut frozen yoghurt (or vanilla!)
- 75 g passion fruit curd
- 3 large egg whites
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp. cornflour
- 1 medium sponge flan case, about 15cm (6in) diameter
- Double-line a 1 litre (13/4 pint) pudding basin with clingfilm, leaving excess hanging over sides. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl mash frozen yoghurt until softened slightly, then swirl through curd as best you can. Spoon into lined basin, pressing down to level, and freeze for 3hr or until solid again.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan) mark 7. In a large grease-free bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, whisking up to stiff peaks after each addition until meringue is stiff and glossy. Whisk in the cornflour.
- Put the flan case on an ovenproof serving plate. Invert the frozen yoghurt into the central dip of the case, then remove basin and clingfilm. Cover frozen yoghurt and case completely in meringue, swirling into peaks with the back of a spoon. Ensure there are no gaps, and make sure meringue goes right down to the plate.
- Bake in preheated oven for 3-4min until golden. Let stand for 5-10min, to allow frozen yoghurt to soften slightly, then serve.
Tip: Why not add some fruit of your choice to go alongside it? Pineapple and mango will keep a tropical twist to this sensational summer pud!
Comment down below if you give this recipe a go and be sure to share your pictures with us over on Facebook and Twitter @UKMumstv.