Whether you own a dog, a lizard, a horse or a mouse, the family pet is an important member of your household and it’s important that young children learn how to treat pets gently and provide basic care. These learning experiences help teach children responsibility and empathy as well as how to look after one of the best friends in their life.
You shouldn’t expect your child to carry the full responsibility for a pet, but allow your child to take part with your supervision and support. Some kids enjoy pet care more than others so you should consider your child’s interest when buying a new pet.
Simple tasks such as feeding their pet will ensure your child feels like they are doing something on their own, but always ensure that you are watching how much they feed them. You can also ask them to come with you when you take them on a walk for example, so that they can see first-hand how much care needs to be taken.
If you are thinking about having a pet here are five reasons why it might be a good idea…
- Teaches your children about responsibility.
- Kids with pets go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- It is proven that children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
- Children are more comfortable reading aloud to pets than they are other humans. When pets are used to help children read, they support the improvement of fluency. The practice children have when reading to their pets helps them become fluent readers, resulting in better understanding of what they are reading.
All of these things will help them to understand the different aspects and importance of taking care of the family pet!
Get kids started on looking after their pets with a Teksta 360. For more information, please click here.