One of the best bits of Christmas is the time it affords to spend time with friends and loved ones. But how to spend that time best, that’s the question!
Typically, my family will spend the festive season eating (too much… but who doesn’t?), watching seasonal movies, playing board games and building complex models. Generally, it’s a LEGO or K’NEX set that one of us has been gifted that Christmas… But this year I’m keen to find us something a little different! So, when the opportunity presented itself to road test the Machine Works Haynes V8 Model Engine, I leapt at it!
About the Machine Works Haynes V8 Model Engine
The Machine Works Haynes V8 Model Engine (RRP £59.99) is aimed at anyone aged 10+ with an interest in how things work. The model set comes with 250+ clearly labelled pieces and builds a simplified version of a real V8 petrol car engine that is fully functional, motorised, and features realistic sounds and illuminating spark plugs. Included with the set is a manual, containing step-by-step instructions and information about V8 engines.
Why we liked about this Machine Works Engine Building Kit
Needless to say, we had a great time building the V8 Model Engine. We’d certainly recommend it as a fun gift for boys aged 10+ – but it’s one that parents and grandparents would love too!
Some of the things we loved about this kit are:
- The instructions are easy to follow.
- It’s one that younger members of the family can help with. Design touches, like the magnetic screwdriver, help simplify the process and make it more accessible for a younger age range.
- It’s a great kit that has multi-generational appeal – an ideal project for grandparents/parents/etc. to build with children.
- We also loved the augmented reality app that you can download ahead of building your model. It helps to illustrate how internal combustion engines work and creates an interactive experience with the finished model V8 engine.
- Once built, the model makes a great display piece that is educational, too!
Where to buy?
Love the sound of the Machine Works Haynes V8 Model Engine? It’s available now from Smyths Toys!
*Please note that this product was provided free in exchange for our honest review of the product; all options are our own!