#gifted – Hotpoint provided the washing machine to UKMums.TV, free of charge, adhering to The Competition and Markets Authority rules.
I’m a full-time working mum of two teenage boys that like to share a bit of their meals with their clothes (how they manage to miss their mouths is beyond me!) and have a partner that is half hit and half miss in getting all of the contents on his fork into his mouth! This coupled with the numerous daily clothes changes by the three of them, I am constantly battling a mountain of washing and as you can imagine, I haven’t seen the bottom of my wash basket for WEEKS!
When Hotpoint asked me if I wanted to review the 10kg ActiveCare washing machine I jumped at the chance! I mean, wouldn’t you? With its A+++ economy rating and ‘family-friendly’ technologies including ‘Active Mousse, Active Drum and Active Load’, that all work together to remove tough, stubborn stains and care for fabric and colours.
With a combination of options that can be used alongside the cycles:
- Steam Hygiene – This option enhances washing performance by generating steam during the wash cycle to remove any bacteria from the fibres, which are treated at the same time. Place the laundry in the drum, choose a compatible programme and select the ‘Steam Hygiene’ option! The steam generated during the operation of the washing machine may cause the porthole door to become hazy.
- Final Care – The washing machine will perform gentle tumbling through slow rotations of the drum. The Final Care option starts after the cycle ends for a maximum duration of six hours and you can interrupt it at any time by pressing any button on the control panel or by turning the knob.
- Rapid / Eco – After pushing the button once, the Rapid option is selected meaning that the duration of the cycle will be reduced. Having pushed the button for a second time the Eco option is selected, reducing energy consumption.
- Active Care – The detergent, premixed with water, creates a unique emulsion that deeply penetrates the fibres of the garments and cleans stains at low temperatures, preserving both colours and fabrics. These results are obtained also due to the multiple different specific movements of the drum which best take care of the garments.
- Start Delay – To set a delayed start for the selected cycle, press the corresponding button repeatedly until the desired delay period is reached. When this option has been activated, the symbol lights up on the display. To remove the delayed start setting, press the button until “OFF” appears on the display.
- Temperature – Each wash cycle has a pre-defined temperature. To modify the temperature, press the “temp.” button. The value will appear on the display.
- Spin – Each wash cycle has a pre-defined spin speed. To modify the spin speed, press the “Spin Speed” button. The value will appear on the display.
“Before your first wash, it’s recommended that you run a wash cycle with detergent and no washing, using wash cycle No. 9. at 60°. I suppose this is to ensure that the washing machine is fully clean and free from any debris that could damage your clothes. The washing machine also has adjustable legs at the front to allow for uneven surfaces and correct drainage.
“I set about testing this washing machine by dividing all of the washing in my basket into relevant piles for colours, delicates and stained clothes (the majority of my washing). This left me with very little room on my kitchen floor, but space soon started to appear as I made sure I took advantage of its 10kg drum. Tip: When filling the washing machine make sure that you leave at least a hand space between your washing and the top of the drum.
The detergent dispenser drawer is easily set out too, it opens and closes very smoothly which is a bonus for me as my last machine was a little stiff and I ended up with mixed detergent in the drawer and it splashing everywhere.
“I also like the fact that you are able to select the temperature on 13 of the wash cycles, ranging from 20° to 90°. The wash cycles do seem to take slightly longer though, but if you use the Rapid option, the wash time is reduced. This is coupled with the ability to add garments during the cycle for those instances when you have asked if anyone has any other washing and nothing appears, but as soon as you put a wash on, someone suddenly comes downstairs with an item of clothing that they need for the next day!
“The Start Delay function is handy too. It means that the washing can be finished in time for the end of school or work, ready for the next load to go in. Hurrah – the bottom of my washing basket is in sight!
“The ‘Steam Hygiene’ feature is fantastic too I’ve used it a few times when one of us has been ill to help remove any bacteria from the fabrics which helps in preventing the illness from being passed round.
“The only negative observation I have is not about the washing machine but the fact that my tumble dryer is only a 7kg drum, so when I want to take advantage of the full 10kg load I have a bit of drying left over!
“All in all, I am really happy with the washing machine’s performance so far. I am yet to use all of the functions available but my washing is stain free, my washing basket is almost empty and I haven’t had any complaints off my family either. I would highly recommend this washing machine.”
Disclaimer: Hotpoint sent us the 10kg ActiveCare washing machine to try out but all opinions here are our own.